Monday, August 3, 2015

Music Monday: Manchester Orchestra

It’s Music Monday! What does that mean? The Central Mississippi Regional Library System has a ridiculous amount of FREE to you resources available for patrons. One of those is Freegal, a free and legal service that now allows patrons to download five songs each week for FREE (notice the emphasis on free). Every Monday we’ll be picking five songs that we love that are available on Freegal for you to download.

How do I even begin talking about Manchester Orchestra? At 17 I snuck into a bar that used to be in Jackson, Mississippi called W.C. Dons, and they were having a show. I instantly fell in love with how poignant the lyrics were and how beautifully parallel the music was. I shook Andy Hull's hand and purchased I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child, and it is is still one of my top favorite albums of all time. I've witnessed them live three times, and with each time they only get better. They evoke such deep emotion within the context of their songs, and they ask such great questions about religion, life, relapse, love, and redemption. And I eat it up. The newest release Cope unfortunately is not available on Freegal yet, so everything that I list will be prior to that. So, after much internal debate, here are my top five Manchester songs: 



1) I Can Feel A Hot One on Let My Pride Be What's Left Behind
This is also found on Mean Everything To Nothing later on (probably because of how hugely popular it became, rightly so), but was first released on this album. Most people have heard of this song if they've heard anything by Manchester. It is hard to listen to, but it's very somber and poetic. 

2) Shake It Out on Mean Everything To Nothing
As the first single of this album, and I remember the day it was released and it started competing strongly with I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child. I loved how Andy Hull's half-shouting/half-singing somehow works in this song (as well as others on the album), but my favorite part is the ending, particularly the chord progression. 

3) I Can Barely Breathe on I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child
This is a questioning man's song. There's nothing entirely complex or innovative about it, but it's moving all the same. 

4) Simple Math on Simple Math
There's something beautifully haunting about this song. With the combination of smooth guitar riffs and the breathy vocals, it sticks with you. Not to mention the provocative lyrics. 

5) Colly Strings on I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child
I saved the best for last. This is hands-down my favorite song ever written by Manchester thus far, and it really hits home for me. Everything about it works. The slow build-up, the ending's explosion, the emotive lyrics. It's beautiful.

If any of these catch your eye, head on over Freegal and download them, or check out some of Manchester Orchestra's other music! All you need is your library card and pin number, and you’re good to go!

Cheers,
Anna

0 comments: