Thursday, October 15, 2015

Mini reviews: The Young Elites and The Rose Society by Marie Lu

One of my favorite series is The Young Elites by Marie Lu. The second book, The Rose Society, was recently released, so I thought I'd share a short review of the first and second books to get you interested! 

Author: Marie Lu // Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers // Genre: Young adult, fantasy

THE YOUNG ELITES
Check out the full synopsis on Goodreads.

This book is freaking incredible. I kept having to put it down and take a break because it was just that good. I’ll start by talking about my favorite part: the world building. Even 25 pages in, I already had a pretty clear picture of what everything looked like, and as the book went on, the little details became clearer.

All of the character have a purpose in this book. No one is just there. It’d probably be pretty difficult to discuss them without giving away the twists and turns in this book, of which there are several. So I’ll just say that everyone is awesome.

I could probably talk about this book forever. I am so impressed with it.

THE ROSE SOCIETY
Check out the full synopsis on Goodreads.

I struggled to find the words to describe how much I loved this follow up to The Young Elites. It’s rare that I read a sequel that I find to be completely up to par with the first book, but this was. Plus, it’s darker and more devious and delightfully delicious. I devoured it.

This book will break your heart and make you crave more of it. And that ending. No spoilers, but it’s both deliciously satisfying and slightly enraging in that I NEED MORE NOW. I’m so pumped that my teens chose The Young Elites for our November book club read at the library.

Even though I was obviously obsessed with this one, this one felt more slow-burning than The Young Elites which was packed to the brim with action. I liked the focus on Adelina’s mental state, but I think TYE was a little more intense, if that makes sense.

The bottom line: READ THIS SERIES. You won't be disappointed. In fact, you're probably going to be completely enthralled, put under a spell that you won't want to break.

-- Stefani
----------------

The Young Elites is in the CMRLS catalog here, and The Rose Society will be available soon, but you can go ahead and place a hold on it here!


1 comments:

brittanysbookrambles said...

Oh my god, Stefani you know how I feel about these books. While reading both of these books the only time I put them down is to gather my breathe and to get tissues for my tears. Such an incredible series, I'm so excited for the third book!