Monday, April 19, 2021

Poetry Month

 The Academy of American Poets founded National Poetry Month in 1996. So this year is the 25th Anniversary! 

On their website, you can sign up for them to send you a verse of the day, find poetry readings near year, you can see what your state offers, or even find poems or poets. 

My personal favorite book of poetry is The Rose That Grew From Concrete by Tupac Shakur (published 1999 by Pocket Books New York)


I will not lie, I have never been a fan of rap music, but this book showed me this person in a whole new light. I challenge you to read it from cover to cover and single out just one poem that is your favorite. They are all so good. 

Today is filled with anger
Fueled with hidden hate
Scared of being outcast
Afraid of common fate
Today is built on tragedies
which no one wants 2 face.....

I exist in the depths of solitude
pondering my true goal
Trying 2 find peace of mind
and still preserve my soul
CONSTANTLY yearning 2 be accepted....

I don't have everything
as a matter of fact I don't have anything
except a dream of a better day
and you 2 help me find my way
Being a man I am sure 2 make mistakes 
but 2 keep u I would do all it takes...

Finish reading each poem from the book, The Rose That Grew From Concrete



0 comments: