Thursday, July 23, 2015

Our Teens Review Books: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Author: Beth Revis

Publisher: Razorbill
 
Synopsis from Goodreads:
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

What I thought:
First and foremost, this book was pretty awesome.  I was not expecting to love this book as much as I did.  My favorite part about this book is that it kept me on my toes as to what was going to happen next.  Throughout the book there were so many unexpected turns that blew my mind and only made the book more addicting.

I have many things that I enjoyed throughout this book starting off with my favorite character.  My favorite character would have to be Harley.  I loved how compassionate and artistic he was.  Another thing that I enjoyed about this book was its special type of curse words.  (Yes, I know that sounds weird and kind of morbid of me to say.)  The words such as “frexing” and “shite” were used quite often throughout the book and I enjoyed them because you really got a feel for the characters’ attitude and the culture they were raised upon on their ship, Godspeed.  I also loved the dynamic relationship that each character had with one another. 

I enjoyed how the author put tiny details throughout the book that were cleverly tied in together at the end.  I am not going to give anything away but once you read it you will understand! I highly recommend it!

Final verdict: I give Across the Universe an 8 out of 10.

-- Olivia 
-----------------------------------
Want to check out Across the Universe? Find it here on the CMRLS catalog and place a hold on it!

0 comments: